Recently Microsoft has made an announcement about the upcoming release of SQL Server 2016 Community Technology Preview 2 (CTP2 ). There has been great enthusiasm about features that will be released with the new SQL Server 2016 and the enhancements that are made to the new SQL Server 2016. To test out the new features we need to download and install new SQL Server 2016, so below are the details you would need to know before installing SQL Server 2016 which are referred to as SQL Server 2016 CTP2 Pre Installation Details.
Installation Guidelines for SQL Server 2016
– Make sure that you have an account that has local administrative rights on the computer where installing SQL Server 2016 CTP2.
– SQL Server 2016 CTP2 DVD Image: You can use this ISO image from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-sql-server-2016 and then burn it to your own DVD. Download the following .ISO file from the Evaluation Center: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-sql-server-2016
Using your DVD-burning software, select the options to burn a DVD from an .ISO image. When you are prompted for a file to use, select the image file that you downloaded. After burning the DVD, locate and double-click Setup.exe on the DVD to begin the installation.
SQL Server 2016 CTP2 CAB file:
– Download the following files from the Evaluation Center to a temporary directory on your device:
Once the download has completed, extract the zip files then double click on the SQLServer2016CTP2-<architecture>-<language>.exe to begin the installation process.
Instructions for installing SQL Server 2016 CTP2 on Microsoft Azure
Microsoft Azure has been in news of recent and many DBAs and developers want to try installing on Microsoft Azure too. For instructions on how to install SQL Server 2016 on Microsoft Azure, please go to the Microsoft Azure Infrastructure Services Page.
Some important Notes About SQL Server 2016 CTP2:
– The Microsoft SQL Server 2016 CTP2 release is NOT supported by Microsoft Customer Services and Support (CSS). Meaning, if you encounter any issues, you cannot open a support case with Microsoft, instead you can post it on any popular community forum which will be addressed if it is a critical issue.
– The Microsoft SQL Server 2016 CTP2 release is made available by Microsoft mainly for testing purposes only and should NOT be installed and used in production environments.
– Side-by-Side installation with down-level production SQL Server instances as well as in-place upgrades of down-level production SQL Server instances, is supported for SQL Server 2008 and higher.
Hope this was helpful to you
This is applicable for below versions of SQL Server
SQL Server 2016
In-Depth Blogs on SQL Server, Information about SQL Server Conferences and Events, Frequently asked questions, SQL Server Trainings