With each new release of SQL Server, there are many new features that get introduced. Microsoft has put lot of effort in improving the SQL Server Management Studio as well with the new releases to support the new features that get introduced. Also, there has been lot of support improvements for Azure integration and management with SSMS. Previously there was not much, DBAs were able to make changes to Azure databases from SQL Server Management, but with the release of SSMS 2016, there has much much closer integration for managing SQL Azure instances and databases. For those who are not aware, we can download and install SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) as separate individual download and install just SSMS on a client machine or on a server. Some of the new features support for SQL Server Management Studio(SSMS) include,
– Addition of human-readable error messages. With this, now when there is an error while performing an operation using SSMS, we get more meaningful error, which will be of great help in troubleshooting, instead of wondering or decoding on what the error is about, as like in some of the previous versions of SQL Server Management Studio.
– Stretch database wizard improvements which adds support for predicates.
– SQL Server 2016 management Studio now allows us to create ER Entity-Relationship Diagrams for SQL Azure Databases without the need for any external tool.
– Now we can see some new options when we right click on the SQL Azure database like “Open in Management Portal”, new “Reports” to view “Transaction Performance Analysis Overview”.
– New options supported when we right click on the user table like, Design(now we can design SQL Azure database tables from SSMS), option to choose selecting or edition top x rows, options for graphical interface to create and administer Full-Text indexes on SQL Azure database tables.
– Database properties now have additional properties or settings like, in the options tab, there is a section for Azure which has options which allows us to change the database edition, the Service Level Objective and the maximum database size.
– There have been many other options enabled in SQL Azure database and table properties which allows us to manage or make changes to database or tables of SQL Azure database and tables, just like regular on premise SQL Server database or table.
– Improvement in the AlwaysEncrypted Powershell commandlet to add key encryption APIs.
– Some known issues has been fixed, like to turn off IntelliSense in the SSMS toolbar, if it has been disabled in the Tools,Options dialog.
Hope this was helpful.
This is applicable for below versions of SQL Server
SQL Server 2016
In-Depth Blogs on SQL Server, Information about SQL Server Conferences and Events, Frequently asked questions, SQL Server Trainings