SQL Server Setup or Installation Failure While Trying to Start SQL Server Services
New installation of Microsoft SQL Server 2012 standalone Express Edition instance Failed with error “Could not find the Database Engine startup handle” “Error Code 0x851A0019”. Below is the error snippet from Setup Summary log file.
Feature: Database Engine Services
Status: Failed: see logs for details
Reason for failure: An error occurred during the setup process of the feature.
Next Step: Use the following information to resolve the error, uninstall this feature, and then run the setup process again.
Component name: SQL Server Database Engine Services Instance Features
Component error code: 0x851A0019
Error description: Could not find the Database Engine startup handle.
Setup failed at the very end while it was trying to bring the SQL Server services online.
Upon checking the SQL Server Errorlog, found below errors
Error: 5178, Severity: 16, State: 1.
Cannot use file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Template Data\master.mdf' because it was originally formatted with sector size 4096 and is now on a volume with sector size 1048576. Move the file to a volume with a sector size that is the same as or smaller than the original sector size.
Above error message points towards some issue with the DISK or SAN drive, so check with the storage admin. There are issues resolved by updating the Firmware and drivers of the Hardware provider. Also, there are few known issues at Operating System level, so apply all latest fixes for the Operating System. Additionally make sure disk is formatted with NTFS file format, but not as FAT32. Make sure that the disk/folders are not read-only, mapped, or compressed drives.
Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
– Install Service Pack 1 (SP1), or install the update that is described in the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
982018 An update that improves the compatibility of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 with Advanced Format Disks is available
– Make sure that the drivers and firmware for your storage controller and other hardware components are updated. Also, make sure that the drives and firmware support large-sector drives.
Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008
– Install the hotfix that is described in the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
2553708 A hotfix rollup that improves Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 compatibility with Advanced Format disks
– Make sure that the drivers and firmware for your storage controller and other hardware components are updated. Also, make sure that the drivers and firmware support large-sector drives.
If you could not find the SQL Server Errorlog as mentioned above, then try the below general steps to see if that is helpful in resolving the issue or making some progress.
– Make sure to uninstall the failed SQL Server instance completely using add remove programs.
– Make sure you remove all file sand folders related to SQL Server from all the drives.
– Run the setup.exe by selecting “run as administrator”
– During installation when you are selecting SQL Server service accounts from account selection page, instead of using default service accounts, use domain account ot Local system account.
This is applicable on below versions of SQL Server
SQL Server 2008 R2
SQL Server 2012
SQL Server 2014
Hope this was helpful.
In-Depth Blogs on SQL Server, Information about SQL Server Conferences and Events, SQL Server Frequently asked questions, SQL Server Trainings.